H l S T O R Y
1/ 4 cubic foot
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Samuel
Medary Papers from Mrs. John A. Davis, New York City, in 1927
The Works Progress Administration prepared an item index to
the papers in 1936. Joyce Harman processed the collection in
Property rights: The Ohio ~ istorical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Mrs. Davis has not dedicated copyrights to the
public. Consideration of theequirements of copyright is the
responsibility of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regula-tions
of the Ohio Historical Society
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all foot-note
and bibliographic references.
Related material: The papers of Samuel Medary are described in
Johnson, Allen and Malone, Dumas ( eds.) Dictionary of American
Biography, Vol. 12, New York. Charles Scribner's Sons, 1930,
Thereisa Medary manuscript collection at the Kansas Historical
Society, Topeka. See, Dorn. Helen P., " Samuel Medarv - Journalist
and ~ oiitician, 1 801- 1864,"' i n Ohio ist tor^, LIII, No. 1,
( January- March, 1944), p. 29.
Biographical sketch: Samuel Medary was born in Montgomery
Square, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, February 25, 1801.
He died in Columbus, Ohio on November 7, 1864.
The family name was originally spelled Madeira, and is still
so pronounced. He was reared in the Quaker faith, his mother's
ancestors having migrated to this country with William Penn.
He was sent to the Norristown Academy and at the age of sixteen
years became a contributor to the " Norristown Herald," both
in prose and poetry. He then taught and continued his studies
in the higher branches. In 1820 his family went to Montgomery
Co., Md., and two or three years later to Georgetown, D. C. In
1825 he went to Ohio acd settled in Batavia, Clermont Co., Ohio.
>? hen 26 years old he was made County Surveyor and school trustee
and later becane auditor of the county. In 1828 he established
the " Ohio Sun" to advocate the claims of Gen'l Jackson for the
presidency. He was elected as a Jackson man to the state house
of representatives in 1834, wasthen sent to the senate, and
after serving two years, re- inovldto Columbus and purchased the
" Western Hemisphere" which was afterwards changed to the " Ohio
Statesman" and which he edited almost continuously until 1857.
OHlO HlSTDRlCAL SOCIETY
This item is a finding aid or inventory to a Ohio Historical Society collection of series. Finding Aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.