H I S T ~ R Y
William T. Sherman Papers
4 cubic feet
Provenance: This Collection is the result of three very
substantial gifts to the Ohio Historical Society. In 1953
Judge Charles fiIontgomery of Newark, Ohio, whose wife was a
daughter of Hugh Boyle Ewing, Sherman's foster- brother and
later his brother- in- law, made a gift of 68 letters written
by Sherman between 1844 and 1885 to Hugh Boyle Ewing. Those
letters form the contents of Folder # 1 of Box # 1.
About five years later, in 1958, a granddaaqbter of Sherman,
Mrs. Eleanor Sherman Thackara Cauldwell ( Mrs. Frederick) of
Groton, Connecticut, gave the Library 302 letters written by
Sherman between 1869 and 1891 to her mother, his daughter,
Eleanor ( Elly) Sherman Thackara. Those letters fill folders
2, 3, 4, and 5 of Box 1.
The next year, 1959, from the estate of Miss Eleanor Sherman
Fitch, another Sherman, granddaughter, whose mother was Sherman's
daughter, Maria ( Minnie) Mrs. Thomas W. Fitch, the Society
received the materials contained in Boxes 2 to 17. These include
Sherman's letters to Henry S. Turner, a long- time business
associate and friend, which cover the period 1854- 1859, and
1872- 1881, those to his daughter Minnie ( 21rs. Fitch) from 1859-
1891, and letters to other members of his family. The Box and
Folder Inventory below indicates the nature of many other items
received through this bequest. Dr. Allen T. Price processed the
collection in June 1967.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns property rights
to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights to this collection are n-- ot dedicated to
the public. Consideration of the requirements of copyright is
the responsibility of the author and publisher.
Access: Access to this collection is open under the rules and
regulations of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all foot-note
and bibliographic references.
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 Vcima Avenue Co! umbui. Dhio 43211- 2497 ph: 614.297.2300 ix: 614.297.2411
www. ahiohistory. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.