Hosack Street Baptist Church
( Columbus, Ohio) Records
1/ 4 cubic foot
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Hosack
Street Baptist Church ( Columbus, Ohio) Records as a gift
of the Reverend Percy A. Carter Jr., Columbus, Ohio, in May
1975. Sherrill Dryden- Baird processed the collection in
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: The Reverend Percy A. Carter Jr. has dedicated
such copyrights as he possesses in this collection to the
public. Consideration of all other copyrights is the responsi-bility
of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regula-tions
of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Uistorical Society in all
footnote and bibliographic references.
Historical sketch: The Hosack Street Baptist Church of
Columbus, Ohio, was organized in 1911 and incorporated in
November 1915. Church members originally intended to form
a Methodist church, but unable to meet the requirements of
the Methodists, they instead organized as a Baptist church.
The congregation met at various locations until 1946 when it
completed a church building on Hosack Street. In November 1978,
the congregation completed building arew church and relocated
to Watkins Road. The church name remained unchanged after the
move. Some members of the congregation chose to remain at
the Hosack Street location and rechartered as the Reeb-
Uosack Community Baptist Church.
Source: Hosack Street Baptist Church ( Columbus, Ohio) Records,
MSS 463, Ohio Historical Society.
Scope and content: The Hosack Street Baptist Church records
date from 1944 to 1978 and consist of correspondence, minutes,
and miscellaneous material. The records occupy one- quarter
cubic foot and are arranged alphabetically by type of document
and then chronologically. The correspondence dates 1944 to
1966 and concerns efforts by the church to obtain assistance
from the U. S. War Production Board for the purpose of church
renovations, church construction, and routine administrative
affairs. Several 1944 letters from U. S. Congressman John M.
Vorys pertain to his efforts to aid the church in obtaining
WPB assistance. A 1956 letter from the Columbus, Ohio, NAACP
chapte.: appeals for funds to support Montqomery, Alabama,
,. iii: l : ' . I -.-.,
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 V e h a Avenue Coiumbui. Ohio 43211- 2497 pit: 614.297.2300 fx: 614.297.2411
www. ohiohiitory. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio History Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.