H I S T O R Y
Dayton, Covington & Piqua
Traction Company Records
14 3/ 4 cubic feet
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Dayton, Covington
and Piqua Traction Company Records as a gift of Harvard Graduate School
of Business Administration, Baker Library, in December 1955. Clara
Ireland and Sherrill Dryden- Baird processed the collection in July
and August 1980.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property rights
to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights have - not been dedicated to the public. Con-sideration
of the requirements of copyright is the responsibility of
the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of
the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name, collec-tion
number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all footnote and bib-liographic
Transfer: Three broadsides and various blueprints and drawings were
transferred to the Audiovisual Department in October 1978 and July
Related material: State of Ohio, Department of Taxation, Tax Commission
of Ohio, minutes, 1910- 1939 ( State Archives, series # 668); State of
Ohio, Public Utilities Commission, Electric and Interurban Railway
reports, 1907- 53 ( State Archives, series 1494).
Organizational sketch: The Dayton and Troy Traction Company was chartered
by the state of Ohio in 1897. The articles of incorporation of the
company were amended to change the name of the company to the Dayton,
Covington and Piqua Traction Company at a special meeting of stock-holders
in July 1901. The DC& P Board of Directors approved a contract
for the Boston Industrial Company to construct and equip a railway
from the terminus of the Peoples Railway Company in Dayton to the
terminus of tracks of the Miami Valley Traction Company in Piqua, Ohio,
in October 1901. This contract called for the issue of 4000 shares of
preferred and 2000 of common stock to the Boston Industrial Company
whose investors, headed by Thomas T. Robinson, Francis L. Chapin, and
Walter C. Geer, held administrative and financial control over DC& P.
The company operated and partially built an electric railway with
thirty four miles of track which served West Milton, Ohio, and the
Ohio towns named in the company title.
1897 OCT Articles of incorporation of Dayton and Troy Traction
Company signed by incorporators headed by T. M. Turner.
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 veirna ~ ~ l u r n b ouh~ in, i3211- 2497 ph: 6142' 37.2300 fx: 614.297.2411
urww. ohiahistory. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.