John C. Williamson Papers
1 1/ 2 cubic feet
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the John C.
Williamson Papers from Andrew Reed in 1943. Sherrill Dryden- Baird
processed the collection in March 1981.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights have not been dedicated to the public.
Consideration of the requirements of copyright is the responsi-bility
of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations
of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all footnote
and bibliographic references.
Transfer: A photograph album, medical school matriculation
tickets, railroad passes, advertisement cards, and miscellaneous
items were transferred to the Audiovisual Department in January
1979 and March 1981. A Shelby County, Ohio, 1853 vote abstract
and an Ohio National Guard, 152nd Regiment, report of sick and
wounded and a prescription book were transferred to the State
Archives in March 1981.
Biographical sketch: John Calvin Williamson, son of David and
Elizabeth McGrew Williamson, was born in Greenville Township,
Darke County, Ohio, on August 2, 1823. John C. Williamson was
a physician who practiced medicine in the Jacksonville and
Versailles, Ohio, areas. During part of his career, Williamson
practiced in partnership with Dr. John B. Carey. Dr. Williamson
attended Willoughby Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, from 1847
to 1848, and Starling Medical College, Columbus, from 1850 to
1851. He also attended lectures at the Bellevue Hospital Medical
College during the 1861 to 1862 session.
John C. Williamson served as a Whig member of the Ohio House of
Representatives from 1856 to 1857. During the Civil War he
served as a surgeon for the 28th and 152nd regiments of the Ohio
National Guard. Dr. Williamson married Rachel Reed of Versailles,
Ohio, in 1872; they had one daughter, Olive Addrela Ella.
Williamson died on November 6, 1893.
Scope and content: The John C. Williamson papers date from 1829
to 1911 and occupy one and one- half cubic feet. The papers are
arranged alphabetically by type of document and then chronolog-ically.
The collection consists of correspondence, financial
records, legal documents, military records, and miscellaneous
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43213- 2497 ph: 614.297.2300 fx: 614.297.2413
wuw. ohiohintory. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio History Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.