MSS 364 Friends of the Land Records - Page 1
|Save page Remove page||Previous||1 of 10||Next|
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
large ( > 500x500)
OHIO MSS 364 Friends of the Land Records H I S T O R Y 114 cubic feet Preliminary inventory Collection Synopsis _--,,,,,, LLe: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Friends of the Land Records as a gift of Mrs. Ollie E. Fink, Zanesville, Ohio, in July 1971. Marjorie J. Haberman prepared the inventory in February 1985. Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property rights to this collection. Copyrights: Mrs. Fink has dedicated such copyrights as she possesses in this collection to the public. Consideration of all other copy-rights is the responsibility of the author and publisher. Access: This collection is BSTRICTED for conservation reasons. Use of this collection must be conducted under Manuscripts Departcent super-vision. Protective garments may be required for handling the aaterial. Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name, collec-tion number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all footnote and bib-liographic references. Organizational sketch: The Friends of the Land ( FOL), a conservation society formed in March 1940, was a non- profit, non- partisan, indepen-dent organization supported entirely by its members. It worked with all government and private agencies to support, increase, and unify all efforts for the control and wise use of rain, soil, and all living products. Officers included a president, four vice presidents, treasurer, editor, business manager, secretary and program director, and a board of directors headed by a chairman. The FOL offices were located on North High Street in Columbus, Ohio, where it published a quarterly magazine, The Land; issued quarterly field reports called The Land Letter which after 1950 became The Land News; and distributed pamphlets and reprints on topics of interest to members. FOL held an " Annual Conference on Conservation, Nutrition, Human Health and Hap-piness," as well as regional meetings of local chapters. In September 1949, FOL merged with the Kationai Garden Institcte. The Institute was founded in February 1943 by the Extension Service of the U. S. Department of Agriculture as the National Victory Garden Institute. Its " Gardengram" report of activities was continued in the FOL's - Land News. Friends of the Land dissolved in circa 1959. Source: Friends of the Land Records, NSS 364, Ohio Historical Society. Scope and content: The Friends of the Land Records date from 1940 to 1959 and occupy 114 cubic feet. The collection, maintained b:- secre-tary Ollie E. Fink, consists of correspondence, financial records, and printed material produced at the FOL headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. The records document daily office activities, FOL'S financial dealings, various programs and conventions FOL sponsored, and the publications it issued. No attempt was made to organize the records; the following box list provides a brief content description. Researchers are advised that much of the collection is damaged by water, dirt. and vermin, and, there-fore. ic in fr=-:,- - - "" OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1982 , Ie! ma Avenue. Coiurnbui, Ohio 43211- 2447 ph: 614.297.2303 in: 614.297.2411 www. ahiohiitaiy. org
|Title||MSS 364 Friends of the Land Records Papers|
Conservation of natural resources -- Ohio.
Water resources development -- Ohio.
Natural resources -- Ohio.
Nutrition -- Ohio.
Gardening -- Ohio -- Societies, etc.
Soil management -- Ohio.
Wildlife management -- Ohio.
Science -- Ohio -- Societies, etc.
World War, 1939-1945 -- War work
World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- Ohio
|Description||This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.|
|Date of Original||1940-1959.|
|Collection||Ohio Historical Society Finding Aids Collection|
|Submitting Institution||Ohio Historical Society|
|Rights||Online access is provided for research purposes only. For rights and reproduction requests or more information, go to http://www.ohiohistory.org/images/information|
|File Name||MSS 364 Friends of the Land Records.pdf|
|File Size||242.423 KB|