H I S T O R Y
Newark Area Chamber of
3 cubic feet
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Newark Area
Chamber of Commerce Records as a gift of the Chamber, through the
auspices of the executive vice- president, Joseph D. Kennedy, in
December 1982. Jeanne Ontko processed the collection in March 1982.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: The Chamber of Commerce has dedicated such copyrights
as it possesses in this collection to the public. Consideration
of all other copyrights is the responsibility of the author and
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations
of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all footnote
and bibliographic references.
Transfer: Newsletters and a newspaper were transferred to the
library department in March, 1982.
Historical sketch: The Newark Area Chamber of Commerce was
established in 1916 to cultivate the economic and civic develop-ment
of Newark and Licking County, Ohio. As a non- partisan, non-sectional,
and non- sectarian organization, the Chamber contributes
to industrial development, community improvements and agricultural
activities of the area. Projects developed by the Chamber include
airport expansion, the Junior Livestock Association, development
of an OSU branch campus, and the Land of Legend festival. The
Chamber is governed by a sixteen member Board of Directors repre-senting
interests in commerce, industry, public service, finance,
real estate, and agriculture. This board is managed by a presi-dent,
two vice- presidents, treasurer, secretary- manager who acts
as the chief administrative officer, and an executive committee.
Members of the community who are involved in promoting trade can
form councilsordivisions of the Chamber of Commerce.
Sources: Newark Area Chamber of Commerce Records, MSS 778, OHS.
Scope and content: The records of the Newark Area Chamber of
Cormnerce date from 1931 to 1971 and occupy three cubic feet. The
collection contains meeting minutes of the board of directors
with correspondence and reports on civic and economic issues also
included. The records remain as originally filed by the Chamber
of Commerce and document the Chamber's position on education,
economic and civic matters.
OBlO ElSTORlCAL SOClETY
198% Vetma Aveniie. Coiunibui. Ohio 43211- 2497 pll: 614.291.2300 fx: 614.297.2411
www. ahiohirtory. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio History Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.