Ohio Society of Professional
38 cubic feet
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Ohio Society
of Professional Engineers Records as a gift of the Society through
the auspices of the Executive Administrator, Mrs. Barbara Cline,
in March 1983. Richard Arpi and Robert Viol processed the
collection in May 1983.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: The Ohio Society of Professional Engineers has
dedicated such copyrights as it possesses in this collection
to the public. Consideration of all other copyrights is the
responsibility of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations
of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all foot-note
and bibliographic references.
Transfer: In May 1983: audiovisual material, including numerous
photographs and audio discs documenting society activities were
transferred to the audiovisual section; and publications, including
bound volumes of the Ohio Engineer, 1943- 1975, were transferred
to the library.
Historical sketch: The Ohio Society of Professional Engineers
( OSPE), the first state organization of engineers in the United
States, was organized in 1880 as the Association of County
Surveyors of Ohio. In 1883, the association adopted a new con-stitution
changing the name of the organization to the Ohio
Society of Surveyors and Civil Engineers. Membership was open
to practical surveyors, civil, or other engineers in good standing.
The society's stated purpose was: " The encouragement of profes-sional
improvement and good fellowship among its members, by
annual meetings for the presentation and discussion of papers on
scientific topics, and such other subjects as may be of interest
to its members, and the collection of books, maps and all other
articles of value to the engineering profession."
The society initially published reports on topics of interest
to surveyors and engineers, considered the professional
qualifications of members, and advocated professional standards
of practice. In January 1905, the constitution was amended and the
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 Veima Avenue, Columbus. Ohio 43211- 2497 ph: 614.297.2300 in: 614.297.2411
www. ohiohistory. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.