The Wheaton Club Records
1 cubic foot
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired The Wheaton Club
Records as a gift of Walter A. Tucker, Columbus, Ohio, in March
1984. Robert W. Viol processed the collectioil in December 1984.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Mr. Tucker has dedicated such copyrights as he
possesses in this collection to the public. Consideration of all
other copyrighrs is the responsibility of the author and
Access: This coliecrion 2s open under rhe rules and regularions
of ehe Ohio Hisrorical Soziery.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all footnote
and bibliographic references.
Organizational skerch: The Whearon Club was first organized in
Columbus, Ohio, in 1896, disbanded, and reorganized in 1922. The
purpose of the organization is, " ro provide a means for the
interchange of ideas among those interested in ornithology and
reiated branches of narural hisrory." The Club is named for
Columbus physician and surgeon, John Maynard Whearon, a renouned
naturalist and ornithologisr.
The organization, with more than 100 members, is governed by a
president, vice president, recording secretary, treasurer, and a
corresponding secretary. These officers, together with the
immediate past- president, constirute the executive committee.
Officers are elected by the membership at the first meeting in May
and hold office for one year or until their successors are
elected. Committees include a program committee; a history
committee, which receives and preserves the Club's records; and a
" share the eventstt committee, which coordinates activities with
A Wheaton Club trust fund was esrablished with monies received as
a gift from the Nelson Mills estate. Income from the investment
of the trust fund is used to provide meeting rooms for Club
meetings and other expenses. The Club's Distinguished Service
Award is conferred upon any member who has rendered exceptional
and devoted service to the Club, made a substantial contribution
toward the accomplishment of the Club's goals, performed a worthy
public service, or has made a significant contribution in the
field of natural science.
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 Veima Avenue. Colum~ hui. Ohio 43211.2497 ph: 614.297.2300 fx: 614.297.2411
www. ahiohistory. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.