August C. Mahr Papers
3- 1/ 4 cubic feet
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired one and one-quarter
cubic feet of the August C. Mahr Papers as a gift of Mrs.
August C. Mahr in June 1967. Gary L. Hunter prepared a
preliminary inventory to these papers in July 1977. Richard W.
Arpi finished processing the collection in May 1987. An
additional two cubic feet of the Mahr Papers were transferred
from the history collections warehouse in October 1991. Jeff
Thomas reprocessed the collection in November 1991.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights have not been dedicated to the public.
Consideration of the requirements of copyright is the
responsibility of the author and publisher.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all
footnote and bibliographical references.
Scope and content: The August C. Mahr Papers occupy three and
one- quarter cubic feet and contain transcriptions of materials
dated 1772 to 1777, and various notes, correspondence, and other
writings dating from 1948 to 1955. In 1948, Dr. Mahr, a
Professor of German at the Ohio State University, contracted with
the Ohio Historical Society to translate and transcribe for
publication a selected number of diaries held by the Moravian
Church Archives in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. These diaries are
part of a larger collection of manuscripts from the Moravian
Church Archives fiimed by a private contractor in 1948 and
contained in OHS microfilm collection MIC 114, The Moravian
Church Archives. OHS manuscript collection MSS 230 contains 11
by 14 inch electrostatic enlargements of the original documents
produced in conjunction with the 1948 microfilm project. The
Mahr Papers contain transcriptions and translations of the
various diaries in the Moravian Church Archives Collections ( MIC
114/ MSS 230) kept by David Zeisberger, John Heckewelder, Johannes
Jungmann, Johann Jacob Schmick, and Johannes Roth. The diaries
document the activities of the Moravian missions at Schoenbrunn,
Gnadenhutten, and Lichtenau from 1772 to 1777. The missions were
located in what is now Tuscarawas County, Ohio. The collection
is arranged in the following four series: diary transcriptions
typed in German; diary translations typed in English; Mahrls
footnotes, index notes, and glossaries to the diaries; and Mahrls
writings about the Moravian missions, his correspondence, and
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus. Ohio 43211- 24g7 ph: 614.291.2300 f x : 614.297.2411
wrrw. ohiohistary. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.