H I S T O R Y
Robinson Locke Collection
1- 1/ 2 cubic feet
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Robinson
Locke Collection from N. D. Scotti, Providence, Rhode Island,
in July 1968. Sherrill Dryden- Baird processed the collection
in November 19 79.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society holds the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: N. D. Scotti has - not dedicated copyrights to the
public. Consideration of the requirements of copyright is the
responsibility of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations
of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number and the Ohio Historical Society in all foot-note
and bibliographic references.
Transfer: In August 1970, 310 photographs were transferred to
the Audiovisual Department.
Related material: Robinson Locke Family Collection, P- 132,
Biographical sketch: Robinson Locke, son of David Ross and
Martha Bodine Locke, was born in Plymouth, Ohio, on March 15,
1856. His father was editor of the Toledo Blade and gained
national recognition for his satirical editorials written under
the pen name Petroleum V. Nasby.
Robinson Locke served as United States Consul at Newcastle- on-
Tyne, England, from 1883 to 1885. Upon the death of his father
in 1888, he assumed editorship of the Toledo Blade and wrote a
theatre column for the newspaper using the pseudonym Rodney Lee.
Locke actively participated in various community affairs in
Toledo, Ohio. As a civic leader he was a benefactor of the
Toledo Public Library, one of the founders of the Civic Music
League, and a trustee of the Toledo Museum of Art. Locke
. became a 33O mason in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of
Freemasonry, Valley of Toledo and in 1918 compiled a memorial
history to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the Scottish
Rite Northern Masonic Jurisdiction.
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 Veima Avenue, Caiumbur. O'nia 43211- 2497 ph: 614.297.2300 fx: 614.297.2411
www. ohiohisloiy. orq
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.