Ohio Institution for Feeble Minded Youth Lantern Slide Collection
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Ohio Institution for Feeble Minded Youth
Lantern Slide Collection
OVERVIEW OF THE COLLECTION
Ohio Institution for Feeble Minded Youth Slide Collection
25 Lantern Slides
0.12 cubic feet
Ohio Historical Society
HISTORICAL SKETCH OF THE COLLECTION
The “Ohio Asylum for the Education of Idiotic and Imbecile Youth” was created by an act of Legislature, April 17, 1857. It opened in Columbus, Ohio in a rented building on Friend Street (now East Main St.) on August 3, 1857. Nine pupils registered on opening day and the number increased to fifteen in the first year. The “asylum” accepted children without commitment between the ages of six and sixteen at the discretion of the first superintendent Dr. R. G. Patterson with the approval of the governor appointed Board of Trustees. The first teacher was Miss Julia Burbank and Miss Emily Whitman acted as the first matron. In 1864 the institution moved from the original location to the “country” on 187.5 acres two and one-half miles from the Capital. The buildings were completed and occupied on July 1868. This location accommodated 300 pupils and was filled within the year.
In November 1881 the building was destroyed by fire and new secure fireproof buildings were built. The building continued its improvements in 1906 and was complete with a new greenhouse, inside plumbing, sewage and a telephone.
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.