State Archives Series 936 AV
Ohio Dept. of Public Works
Canals Photograph Collection
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
State Archives Record Series
SA Series 936 AV
OHIO DEPT. OF PUBLIC WORKS
Canals photograph collection
OVERVIEW OF THE SERIES
Series Number: State Archives Series 936 AV
Creating Agency: Ohio Dept. of Public Works
Series Title: Canals photograph collection
Dates of Series: 1916
Quantity: 0.33 cubic feet
Location: Ohio Historical Center
The Ohio Department of Public Works is one of the oldest departments of State
government in continuous existence. It evolved directly from the Board of Canal
Commissioners and was created by an Act of Legislation on January 31, 1822. Among
its other duties, this department was charged with maintenance and administration Ohio
& Erie and Miami-Erie Canals. In 1836 it became the Board of Public Works. It was
briefly the Canal Commission from 1836 to 1838. Then in 1839 it became the Board of
Public Works again and retained this name until 1912. At this time changes to the Ohio
Constitution replaced the Board of Public Works with the Superintendent of Public
Works. The Superintendent was charged with the responsibilities of the Board of Public
Works and the Canal Commission. In 1921 the responsibilities of the Superintendent of
Public Works, the highway and building commissioners were combined to form the
Department of Highways and Public Works. In 1927 Highways and Public Works were
separated and the Department of Public Works was created.
Wakefield, Lynne. Union Bibliography of Ohio Printed State Documents, 1803-1970.
Columbus, Ohio: Ohio Historical Society, 1973.
FUNCTIONS OF THE RECORD SERIES
Photographs were taken by the Board to document the disrepair of the canal system in
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.