Ohio Jewish Chronicle, 1947-12-26, page 01
|Save page Remove page||Previous||1 of 8||Next|
Loading content ...
r Areliaeoloprlcal * HlPlorical U\m N. HiBh St. at 15th—1 M ^^ JIHROMCLE j]\\J/ Serving Columbus and Centred Ohio Jewish Comm\mity"\//\\^ Vol. 25, No. SO COLUMBUS, OHIO, FRIDAY, DECBMlJBR 26, 1947 Devoted to American and Jewlah Ideals PASSING OF SIMON LAZARUS MOURNED Thousands^ from all Walks of Life Attend Rites Death Ends Career of Great Merchant and Philanthropist In the eulogy paid by the Rev, Dr. Julian MorgnuHlem, Presi¬ dent Emeritus of Hebrew Union College, to the memory ot his lilc-long friend and co-worltcr, Simon Lazarus, Tuesday afternoon at the Bryden Road Temple, the Rabbi stressed the unselfishness and humility of the departed business leader and pliilanthropist who passed away Sunday morning. Dee. 21, after a protraetcd illness. "My dearest friend on.eartli," he declared, "lins been sum¬ moned to the Academy on High and it is difficult for me to find words in which to express tlie poignant grief wlilcli writhes in my heart. He truly was one of God's noblemen, the epitome of kindness and humility. We have all been blessed thru our asso¬ ciation and eontaets with him. The void in Uio civic and business life of this community will not soon be filled. May his memory be enriched in the hearts of all of us for many years to come." Rabbi Jerome D. Folkman con-~"^ ' ~—' ducted the services along with his former teacher, Dr. Morgen- stern. The prayer which Dr. Folkman prepared and delivered especially for the occasion will be found elsewhere In these columns. As spiritual leader of the Temple with which the Tjazarus family has been identified from its very inception, ^abbl Folk- man paid tribute to Mr. Lazarus' unUevlating devotion to Its wel* fare and prosperity, ife alSo re¬ counted the many benefactions and civic contributions of Tem¬ ple Israel's treasurer and guid¬ ing spirit and held up his career as a shining example to those who will succeed him. Every elem^t In the business and religious life ot Central Ohio was amply represented in the tremendocs throng which filled the auditorium and vestry rooms of the congregation. Ushers at the funeral were: Trent D. Sickles, Robert K. Levy, Arthur J. ¦ Isaac, Allen Gunder- shelmer, Samuel Shinbach, Sam¬ uel N. Summer, Harry R. Roth, Pierre D. Hale, Leon J. Good nian, Terrance Webster, Fred Lazarus, III, Cincinnati; Ralph Lazarus, William Hendrlx, Harry Young, John Graham, Max M. Sealock, Robert Wren, Karl Kaiser, and Morris D. Garek. Pallbearers, all of whom are present or former executives of the store were: E. J. Kramer, Ed¬ ward J. Coughlln, Raymond Cummins, Paul W. Maher, Oral Scheaf, Maury Meriwether, Harry W. Edwards, Milton H. Simmons, E. Lawrence Good¬ man, Julius W. Stelnhauser, Rob¬ ert Euchenhofer, L. E. Davis, retired, and J. B. Bellamy. iaB2 - ^tmnn ^uzntixB - IB47 The Life of Simon Lazarus The oldest son of Fred Lazarus, Sr., and Rose Elchberg Laz- aru.s, and a grandson of the Simon Lazarus who founded the store In 1851, Simon Lazarus was born In Columbus August 19, 1882. He was educated in the Columbus public schools until 1806, at¬ tended the Manllus Military Academy of New York from 1898 to 1900, and entered the family store as a salesman after a brief course of study at a Columbus business college in 1901. Married to Edna Yondorf in 1911, Simon Lazarus is the father of two sons, Simon Lazarus of Cincinnati and Charles Y. Laz¬ arus ot Columbus, and ot two daughters, Mrs. Chester C. Shin- bach of Columbus and Mrs. John E. Stark of Clnctanatl. Edna Yondort Lazarus, a woman re¬ nowned tor her philanthropic Inlefests, died in 1933. Simon Lazarus' second wife, the former Amy Weiler Harmon, has a daughter and a son by her first marriage, Mrs. Robert E. Green and Al Harmon. There are eight grandchildren. Store President Oldest of the four sons ot the late Fred Lazarus, Sr., Simon Lazarus entered the store family In 1901. During his early years with the store he was as¬ sistant to hla uncle, Ralph Laz¬ arus, In the merchandising ot men's and boy's clothing. In 1913 he became Store Superintendent. At that time the business was housed in the famous clqek-tow- er building at the southwest cor¬ ner of Town and High Sta, Due largly to the efforte of the young Stmon Lazarus, and his brother Pred, Jr., the first unit of the present mammoth Lazarus store on the northwest comer of Town and High was completed in 1909. Upon the death of Fred Laz¬ arus, Sr., In 1917, Simon Lazarus succeeded to the presidency of the store. Early in his retail career Mr. Lazarus indicated his absorbing and enthusiastic interest in peo¬ ple, and made retail personnel relations his first concern. He was perhaps the only president ot a great istore In America to take such a dominant Interest in the welfare of his employees. Even when the store's'employ¬ ees numbered more than 3,000, he made a point of meeting per¬ sonally, each new associate; and it was well understood in the store that every associate had direct access to his counsel at ail times. IJe was devoted to the principle ot promotion from within the organlziftlon (96% of Lazarus executives have come up from the ranks as proof of the wisdom of this policy.) An accomplished speaker and raconteur, he has been tor many years the preferred master ot ceremonies at such store social events as Associate Activities election parties, sports tourna- (Contlnued on Page Two) It is with a deep sen^e of grief that the Ohio Jewish Chonlcle mourns the passing ot Simon Lafearus, merchant prince, communal leader, philanthropist, sportsman, and humble servant of the Most High. Beloved by his thousands ot associates in the Laz¬ arus organization, he went about his manifold duties with an infectious smile and a cheerful greeting. Those who met him daily could see that he was a great lov§r of his fellowman vvho never forgot the human equation in his upward climb to the pinnacle of success In the mercantile world. He had a unique way ot convincing his co-workers ot his sincerity, his unselfishness, and his humility. More¬ over, he never attempted to impress others with the power and Influence he wielded in business and civic fields, While he enjoyed life in all its ramifications, he never forgot his public responsibility and often reminded rela¬ tives as well as friends of the uncertainties of life and ot the supreme importanc; ot cultivating friendship and brotherly understanding among all groups ot people, re¬ gardless of race, color or creed. Although, like his brothers, he dedicated his'life to the advancement of the Lazarus name as a business in¬ stitution, one of his greatest hobbies was the Temple on Bryden Road to which his father and mother gave their last full measure gf devotion. He kept in close contact with every aspect of Temple Israel's activities; he succeeded his father 30 yearS ago as Treasurer of the Bryden Road Temple and he enjoyed this work as well as his position on the finance and budget committees. But more than all other duties he enjoyed the humble duty of usher at the Friday evening and Holiday services. To greet his fellOw worshippers with a hearty smile and handshake was to him a supreme pleasure. When the attendance was exceptionally large, he would declare \ylth a twinkle in his eye that "business was good!" Together with his lifelong friend In communal en¬ deavour, the late Edwin J. Schantarb^r, he founded the United Jewish Fund of Columbus and built It on solid (Continued on Page Four) Fellowship Church Services Sunday Guest preachef for the Decem¬ ber service of the Intertalth and inter-raclal Fellowship Church, to be held 5 p. m. SuncUny at the First Congregational Church, 444 E. Broad, will be Dr. William J. Faulkner, Dean of the Chapel of Flsk University. Dr. Faulkner has lectured extensively through¬ out the nation on race relations and religion. His .subject: "The Miracle of the Mustard Seed.l' - ¦ Presiding officers for the ser¬ vice will be Rev. Harry G. Ford, Rev. M. E. Nelson, and Mr. Mil¬ ton Parber, Temple Israel. The Fellow.shlp Church choir will sing and tlie Church nur¬ sery for pre-school children will be available under the direction of Mrs. D. J. DePauI and her assistants. The public Is invited. SPECIAL NOTICE l>ue to the overtvheimlng amount of news Which flooded the Clironlcle offices this week concerning the passing of Mr. Luizarus, much news matter whtcli we would'vo been glad to publish, was omitted or curuiilcd. We trust you will bear, with us for this issue. Condolences which arrived too late for insertion this week, will appear in the Jan. 2 edition. Organizations are reminded thiit copy must be received next week by Tues¬ day noon again, due to the New Years holiday. AZA Convention Plana Completed Rabbi Harry Kaplan, director of the Hlllel Foundation at OSU, will be the guest speaker at the banquet which will climax the AZA Regional K-I-0 Convention- starting tomorrow. The banquet, a semi-formal affair, will be held at the Nell House 'Tuesday, con- eluding three complete days and evenings ot activity. Eighteen chapters from the K-I-0 area will be represented by 250 delegates expected to reg¬ ister at the Nell House Head¬ quarters tomorrow. The conven¬ tion opens with an Ice Breajter dance tomorrow evening at the Virginia Hotel. Tournaments in basketball, chess and checkers, and oratory and debate will commence Monday. These tour¬ naments win be concluded Tues¬ day. TO ATTEND JOINT DEFENSE APPEAL Judge Robert L. Aaronson, of St. Louis, president of District 2 B'nal Brith, and Allan Tarshish, Columbus chairman ot A. D. L. Committee of District 2, will at¬ tend the Joint Defense Appeal Conference, scheduled In Phila¬ delphia, January 3, 4, and 5th, 1948, as official representatives of B'nal Brith District 2. CAPITOL POST AUXILIARY In celebration of its tenth an¬ niversary, the Capitol Post Lad¬ les Auxiliary No. 122, Jewish War Veterans, is planning an af¬ fair for Tuesday, Jan, 13 at Memorial Hall, starttng at S p. m. Mrs. H. Caraway is chali^ man for the anniversary cele- Isratlon. "
|Title||Ohio Jewish Chronicle, 1947-12-26|
|Subject||Jews -- Ohio -- Periodicals|
|Place||Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)|
|Creator||Ohio Jewish Chronicle|
|Collection||Ohio Jewish Chronicle|
|Submitting Institution||Columbus Jewish Historical Society|
|Rights||This item may have copyright restrictions. Online access is provided for research purposes only. For rights and reproduction requests or more information, go to http://www.ohiohistory.org/images/information|
|Image Height||Not Available|
|Image Width||Not Available|