Ohio Jewish Chronicle, 1954-06-25, page 01
|Save page Remove page||Previous||1 of 8||Next|
Loading content ...
ATdtaeottglcal & UtHorical Vuseiun N. BlBb Sl at lSth-.l Sf\\#~Serying Columbus and Cenlral Ohio Jewish Community \^A0!. Vol 32, No. 26 COLUMBUS, OHIO, FRIDAY, JUNE 25, 1954 De' - .>ted fo Arnsrican and Jewlih Idsali BETH JACOB BROTHERHOOD'S '3-D' DINNER-DANCE TONIGHT AT 9:30 The program committee of the Bee-Jay Men's Club is winding up final preparations for Its dinner-dance tonight, beginning at 9:30, at Beth Jacob Synagogue. According to the dance chairmen. Dr. Chas. Young and George Gold¬ berg, the finishing touches are In readiness, and the accent of decor¬ ation la focused on a "3-D" atmosphere. Dancing feet will boat In tempo to the music of Bob Marvin and his orchestra. Dinner and refreshments will be served beginning at 10:30 p. m. Door prises will also be Included in the admission price of $3 per couple. The doors of the social hall at 969 Bulen Ave. will be open at 9 p, m., for the late ticket-buyers. Miss Shwartz Is Elected Attorney-General of Annual Buckeye Girls State Convention Franelne .Shwartz, 15-year-old junior representing Uhrlchsvllle High School, was elected Attorney General of the Sth annual Buckeye Girls State convention which concludes a six-day session Saturday at Capital University. The convention Is made up of honor students In Ohio high schools who will be entering their senior year next fall. Miss Shwartz, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Jack D. Shwartz, ahd grand-daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Fiaher of Columbus, was named to the post from ftSl teen¬ age delegates attending the mock government week sponsored by the American Le,;lon. I'V>ur other stu¬ denta were uamed on the stat^ governing body. Chief Justice Carl V. Weygandt,^ of the ' Supreme Court of Ohio, swore in the Girls State officials at the imptea/ilve Inaugural cereUonT tea Wednesday night at Mees Hall. In 1948, Marilyn Tarshish, daugh¬ ter of Mr. and Mrs. Allan "Tarshish i)t Colutaibus, waa elected to the highest office of this government— governor. (Marilyn is now Mrs. Michael Winer.) PIONEER WOMEN CARD PARTY Pioneer Women, Chapter IT, will have a card party and bake sale Wednesday evening at the Jewish Center, and the community Is In¬ vited. Attendance will make possible the contintutlon ot the ever-In¬ creasing Pioneer projects In Israel. This spring, 800 woihen and girls are atten'dl'tiK vooatlonal courses^ recently opened In varioni settle^ ments for newcomera. Some are In¬ tensive courses lasting a fev^ months; others are of a year's duration, providing a good founda¬ tion In the trade. Localities: Rosh Haavln, Bceraheva, Galll, Sakyla A., Kfar Ono, Kfar Ana, Aklr, Sar- nuga and Shapiro Quarter, Tel (eoatlnoed on page S) Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them: I atai the Lord your Ood.—Lev. 18 :i. FROM ONE QUEEN TO ANOTHER La«t yeair's queen s— Patty Shaman deft) — presents the rotating trophy to AZA*« 1954 "Sweethearf * — Marcia Slaven. Miss Slaven was Choften queen at the annuaJ Sweetheart Dance June 14 at Ute Ex* oelslor Glub. \ Local Brandeis Women Hold Suitimer Meeting The lovely garden at the home of Mrs. Leon Friedman, 240 S. Drexel Ave., will be the setting for the annual summer meeting of the Co¬ lumbus Chapter, of the Women's Committee for Brandeis University Monday, 1:30 p. m. Refreshments, which will follow the meeting, have been planned by Mrs. Aaron Horowitz. Mrs. Jack-Resler and Mrs. Aaron Canowitz are In charge of the tea tables. The following women have also been chosen to serve as hostesses for the afternoon: Mrs. Sam Schlonsky, Mra. Robert Suid and Mrs. Jullua Wasserstrom. RUBENSTEINS TO ISRAEL Rabbi and Mrs. Samuel Rub¬ enstein leave June 30 for Israel. The.v will participate In a semi¬ nar for rabbis and educators, sponsored by the Jewish Agency for Palestine. FIRST LADY HONORED Rahel Yanalt Ben Zvl, First Lady of Israel and founder of Pioneer Women, will be honored on the "Eternal Light" progranj this Sun¬ day, 12 noon to 12:30, on radio sta¬ tion WLW. Annual JWV Night At Billiard Final arrangements are being completed by Senior vice-Comman¬ der Albert Beim an(J his committee for the annual event of the Jewish War Veterana night at Hllllard Raceway, Thursday, July 1, 8:15 p. m., aponsored by Capitol Post 122. Tlcketa, $1 each, are obtainable from any member of JWV or can be reserved by calling DO. 3977. Aa an organization, JWV be¬ lieves in co-operation with all com¬ munity agencies and organizations deVoted to the enhancement of public good, and accepts the prop¬ osition that no organization can "live In isolation." The ideal is tbe pooling of all community organi¬ zational resources so that they may be employed at maximum efficien¬ cy,- omf" wftlr the~8frfettttfst economy for th«* oommon good. Proceeds of the event will go to-, W^rd the strengthening of JWV's local program In becoming one of the leading Posts in the U. S. COLUMBUS B'NAI B'RITH WOMEN HONORED AT 1954 CONVENTION Eleven women, representing the Columbus Chapter of B'Ual B'rith Women, returned from the 21st convention of District 2, Imbued with a greater feeling of B'nai B'rith purpose: servioe to mankind. Delegates from the local chapter at the Toledo convention, June 12- 15, Included: Mesdames Albert Blank, Robert Goldberg, Dave Handler, Paul Herwald, Meyer Hoffman, Louis M. Levin, Martin Marx, Jack Schilling, Frank Yas¬ senoff. Mrs. Joseph Schecter, the Imme¬ diate past president of the district, AT BRANDEIS COMMENCEMENT A PORTION OV THE AUDIENCE of mqre than BOOO who witnessed commencement exercises recently on the Br<^tadels University campus in Waltham, - Mass. Highlights were the presentation of six honorary degrees, 169 bachelor's degrees, and the first graduate degrees to be awarded In the University's history. and Mrs. Milton Leeman, a member of tho general committee, were delegates at large. ' In the proceedings of the. con¬ vention the Columbus Chapter a- chleved success for many of the local projects. First, a star for the banner ac¬ knowledging an over-subscription of the financial quota set by the Women's Supreme Council. Second, a first-place award in recognition of the scrap book pre¬ pared by Mra. George Goldberg and Mrs. Robert Goldberg of the pub¬ licity releaaes of Columbus chapter. Third, for 25 hours of service to members of the Armed Forces', recognition was given to Mesdame? A. M. Pollock, Ed Kellner, Afartln Marx, Harry Lakln, Milton Glaa, Harry Kay. Fourth, the Oolumbus Chapter was third-place winner in net gain tn memberahip among the chapters of like size in Colorado, Wyoming, Ohio, New Mexico, Indiana, Kansas ahd Missouri, members of District 2. ' An outstanding feature, one that the local chapter should be justly proud of was the donation of (600 to furnish a room in the Children'a Home In Israel, In honor of Co¬ lumbus Zlon Chapter 127. Mrs. Milton Lehman waa re¬ elected to the general committee, which serves as the governing board for the Women's Grand Lodge District 2. Elected to serve as president of the seven-state re¬ gion was Mrs. Norrls Mesphanj of Cleveland. \ Mrs. Allan Meyer," Program chairman, announces that Mrs. Theodore Schlonsky and Mrs. Wm. Wasserstrom will give' reports on the Brandeis Conference Which was held on the University campus in Waltham, Mass. HARP SELECTIONS by Mrs. Allen Gundersheimer, Jr. will com¬ plete the program. Mrs. Gunder¬ sheimer, who Is a graduate of Northwestern University and the Eastman School of Music, has ap¬ peared wltb the Tucson Symphony Orchestra and the Waukegan Phil¬ harmonic, locally, Muriel's list of accomplishments Include perfor¬ mances for the Women's Muslo Club, Council of Jewish Women and the Temple Israel Chanukah services. During the current year, Muriel has taken a very active part In the Columbus Little Symphony. Mrs. Morris Resler will give the opening prayer. AHIS. E. J. GORDON, chairman pf Special Book Collections, hopes that Columbus families will talte advantage of this thoughtful way of celebrating an important family event or €s a remembrance gift. All books in the collection will be Inscribed lii accordance with the wishes of the donor. Members and friends are Invited to the Monday meeting. Before starting Its fall campaign, Brandeis women are announcing that anyone Joining Brandeis will be given six months' free mem¬ bership and dues will be paid to Dei. 81, .1966. New members are Invited to the summer meeting. Contact Mrs. Jos. D. Schecter, DO. 6000, or Mrs. Abe Wolman, DO. 1318, Membership chairmen. He tliat sacriflceth unto the gods, save unto the Lord only, shall be utterly destroyed, . —Vx, ttiW Midsummer Mitzvah Set For July 17-18 All 'Young Adults attending the Midsummer Mitzvah" July 17-18 can look forward to spending Sun¬ day, July 18, attending a "bagels & lox" brunch, swimming, volley¬ ball, baseball and various outdoor sports. The evening wlll^c devoted to a w'elner roost and campflre on the picnic grounds of the Jew^ Ish Center. A social Lounge will follow the evenlngfs piogram. Novel arrangements and decora¬ tions will be featured at the dance, In the Center auditorium Saturday evening. Many Young Adults from Day¬ ton, Cincinnati, Louisville and Indianapolis will attend this 2nd annual "Midsummer Mitzvah" FINAL CALL FOR -REGISTRATIONS Parents who wish to send their children to the Jewish Center Day' Camp are urged tO register Imme¬ diately. The camp Is rapidly filling, up and will begin July 6. An experienced staff of coun¬ sellors and unit hpOda has been en¬ gaged. In addition, substantial Im¬ provements In the outdoor area will enhance the outdoor aspects of camp activities. Fee for camp Is $66, including lunch and snacka, outdoor pool membership and other benefita. Transportation is optional, for an extra fee. Provision haa also Veen made fpr adjustments on fees. Arrangementa can be made through peraonal In¬ terview with Simon Cohen. AIRS. KRAUS ELECTED The Mental Health Assoctgtion. of Franklin county has elected Mrs. Bertha Kraus as treasurer and to the organization's program eoiit' mlttee. Mrs. Kraus Is director of the T. I. Nuraery School.
|Title||Ohio Jewish Chronicle, 1954-06-25|
|Subject||Jews -- Ohio -- Periodicals|
|Place||Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)|
|Creator||Ohio Jewish Chronicle|
|Collection||Ohio Jewish Chronicle|
|Submitting Institution||Columbus Jewish Historical Society|
|Rights||This item may have copyright restrictions. Online access is provided for research purposes only. For rights and reproduction requests or more information, go to http://www.ohiohistory.org/images/information|
|Image Height||Not Available|
|Image Width||Not Available|