Ohio Jewish Chronicle, 1965-06-18, page 01
|Save page Remove page||Previous||1 of 10||Next|
Loading content ...
Vol. 43, No. 25 3|\Q^~~ Serving Columbus, Dayton, cigntw a^^ Southwestern Ohio fflA" FRIDAY, JUNE 18, 1965 — 18 SIVAN 5725 olHO ol s,-, c rt .'I ¦: - .J HXVI IV is HDlH t) wnasni'i Tvoiaci-^iii "J T-'.-ani-^lii.-?!'.- NEW RABBI TO GOME TO TEMPLE ISRAEL On the recommendation of Dr. Jerome D. Folkman. Rabbi, the Board of Trustees confirmed the appointment of Rabbi Edward D. Kiner as Assistant Rabbi of Temple Israel succeeding Rabbi Stephen A. Arnold, whose resignation from the post becomes effective on July 1. Rabbi Kiner was ordained at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish In¬ stitute of Religipn. Cincinnati, on May 29. The degree of Master of Arts in Hebrew Letters was con¬ ferred upon him with Honors. He attended Columbia Univer- .sjty; while in New York City, he studied at the Teacher's Institute of the Jewish Theological Semin¬ ary. Then he returned to his native city. Cleveland. Ohio, where he entered Western Reserve Univer¬ sity as a full scholarship student. He was on the Dean's list for three consecutive years and received the President's Award for academic achievement. His major interest is religious education and youth activilies. While in Cleveland, he was a member of the Faculty of Park Synagogue. As a student in Cin¬ cinnati, he was an instructor in Hebrew in a Cincinnati congrega¬ tion. In 1964. he represented the Anti- Defamation League of B'nai B'rith at a Methodist Summer Camp for young people. As a student at the Hebrew Union College, he supplied the pulpit of Congregation B'nai Israel. William¬ son. West Virginia, from 1963-1965. Rabbi and Mrs. Kiner are the parents of two children, Seth and Debra. They will reside at 51-D Napoleon Ave., Columbus. Ohio. Shown above, from left to right: Samuel S. Schwartz, Delegate Registration chaimian; Mrs. Loon Gross, Badge and Souvenier chairman; Harry S. Goldstein, co-chairman of Registration; Mrs. Harry S. Gojdstein, Liason chairman, and Mrs. Martin Marx, Delegate Registration chairman. Over 500 To Attend Local Convention Over 500 delegates are expected to attend the eight state convention of District II. B'nai B'rith Lodge and Chapter at the Sheraton-IQDlumbus Motor Hotel (Columbus-Plaza) on July 10-13. All social functions of the convention for Lodge members and Chapter members are open to the general Community. The main social event of the convention will be highlighted on Saturday evening in the Celestial Ballroom at 9 p.m. The celebration wiuch will follow the short Convention Opening will honor Zion Lodge. B'nai B'rith in observance of the one hundreth an¬ niversary. Harold Eisenstein, director of Cul¬ tural Activities at the Jewish Cen¬ ter, is directing the historical pageant concerning the role Zion Lodge played in the history of Co¬ lumbus. Among the stars of the pageant are, Abe Greene, Harry Shubert. Larry Kent, Robert Aron¬ son, Mrs. Benjamin Center and Mrs. Ralph Shapiro. Dancing to the music of Johnny Rogers and his 12 piece orchestra and a social hour will follow. Ad¬ mission to Saturday evening's social is $2.50 per person. Sunday and Monday the delegates will attend business sessions and have an opportunity to visit the Hillel Foundation at Ohio State University. Tuesday morning will find the delegates.attending work shops and electing officers for the ensuing year. The Installation Luncheon for tlie men's lodges will take place at 12:30 in the Venus and Mars Rooms of the Sheraton-Columbus. Sidney Kusworm. District Past President, will be the Installing Officer. The Installation Luncheon for the women's chapters will take place at 1:30 in the Saturn Room. Mrs. Louis Sharp, of Cleveland, a past presi¬ dent of the Women's District, will install the newly elected officers. Tuesday evening for the Closing Session of the 113th Annual Con¬ vention, will find the lodge and chapters celebrating a joint ban¬ quet in the Celestial Ballroom. Jack N. Bohm. retiring president of District Grand Lodge #2, and Mrs. Fred Wacksman. retiring president of B'nai B'rith Women, District Two, along with the newly- elected president of the lodge and chapter, will give short remarks. A reception in honor of the newly elected district presidents will con¬ clude the banquet. Members of the Columbus Com¬ munity are cordially invited to at¬ tend the various social functipns on Saturday evening, and Tuesday. Tickets for the various socials may be obtained from Victor Goodman, newly-elected president of Zion Lodge, or by contacting the B'nai B'rith office. Professor Martin Buber Dies In Jerusalem At The Age Of 87 JERUSALEM (JTA)—Professor Martin Buber. world famous Jewish philosopher, educator and foremost interpreter of Hasidic thought to the Gentile world, died Sunday at his home here. He was 87. He had been suffering from general weakness for the past few weeks following an operation for a broken leg suffered last spring. Prof. Buber was born in Vienna in 1878 and was raised by his grandfather Solomon Buber of Lvov, who first introduced him to Jewish studies. He studied philosophy and Dr. Marvin Fox Dr. Marvin Fox Is Re-elected Dr. Marvin Fox, 128 S. Ardmore Rd., Professor of Philosophy at Ohio State University, was re-elec¬ ted as National Vice President of the National Association of Hebrew Day School PTA's at the organization's 17th Annual Convention just con¬ cluded. Some 300 delegates representing Hebrew Day Schools throughout the country attended the two-day con¬ clave. The delegates which included school administrators, principals, teachers and parents in the Hebrew Day School movement heard a number of educators, psychologists and PTA officials discuss vital issues in the field of elementary and secondary education, as well as parent education. Moral values in tlie community and Federal Aid to Education were discussed both in workshops and .plenary sessions. The World's Week Complied from JTA and WUP Reporh UNITED NATIONS, N.V. (JTA)—The United States rebuffed a demand by the Soviet Mission to the United Nations that the United Stales act lo remove a plaque on u .synagogue near the Mission building which accuses the Soviet Union of discrimination against Russian Jews. JERUSALEM (JTA)—t'remier Levi Eshkol declared in Parliament that the "so-called moderate Arabs" might be planning new moves against Israel. The Premier said he wanted lo remind all Israeli villages of the need for greater vigilance. AiiBANV, N. Y. (JTA)—Tho bill signed into law by Governor Rockefeller, which will provide textbooks to chil¬ dren in both public and religious schools in the State, is virtually certain to be challenged on the basis of a constitu¬ tional provision barring the use of public funds "directly or indirectly" to aid secUirian schools, it was predicted here. TEIj AVIV (JTA)—The Mapai central body, in the con¬ tinuing power struggle between Premier Levi t^shkol and former Premier David Hen-Gurion, named Eshkol this week to head the party list for the forthcoming Parliamentary elections and lo be the next Premier. PHILADELPHIA (JTA)—Federal' aid to education, a topic which has split the American Jewish community, was opened and defended by siJeukers at the ;i9lh annual con¬ vention of the National Conference of Jewish Commuijal Service. history of art at the Universities of Vienna, Leipzig, Berlin and Zurich. While still a student, he became active in the Zionist movement as a writer and edited the Vien¬ nese Zionist news¬ paper, "Die Welt." He was also a founder and editor of the Jewish Pub¬ lishing House in Vienna, the Ju- discher Verlag. From 1916 to 1924 he edited De Jude, a periodical which he had founded and which became the leading or¬ gan of German speaking Jews. From 1923 until his expulsion from Germany by the Nazis in 1933, Prof. Buber occupied the chair of Jewish studies at the University of Frankfurt^the only such chair in all of Germany. In 1938 follow¬ ing his settlement in Palestine he became Professor of Social Philo¬ sophy at the Hebrew University in lerusalem, a post he held until his retirement in 1951 when he became Professor Emeritus. Prof. Buber achieved world prom- ience for introducing Hasidic philo¬ sophy into German thought and the philosophical schools of Western Europe. His view that religion is a dialogue between God and man that self-realization is aciiieved through perceiving the divine presence in one's relationship to the world and his fellow man had a decisive im¬ pact on the philosophical writing and thinking of post World War II intellectuals. During the 1950's. Buber's books, "I and Thou," "Between Man and Man," "Tales of the Hasidim" and others, enjoyed a widespread vogue among students in France, England and the United States. In addition to his works on Hasidic thought and the history of Hasidism, Prof. Buber was the au¬ thor of numerous books on the Bible, Jewish and general - philosophy, theology, and Zionist theory. To¬ gether with the late German-Jewisti philosopher Franz Rosenzweig he achieved the monumental task of translating the Old Testament to German during the years 1926-37. During his lifetime Martin Buber was honored by many of the world's leading universities and learned so¬ cieties. He held honorary degrees from the Hebrew University, the Hebrew Union College, the Sorborme' and the New School for Social Re¬ search. He was a visitihg guest professor at several universities in France, Scandinavia, England, the Nether¬ lands and the United States and set off a widespread controversy by re¬ turning to Germany after the war lo lecture. Although he retired from teach¬ ing at the Hebrew University in 1951 he never lost touch with Israel's sludents and was always accessible for consultation. Two years ago. on his 85th birthday, the students of the Hebrew University paid tribute to their revered teacher by holding a moving torch light parade outside his home in Jerusalem. In Israel. Prof. Buber joined forces with the late Dr. Judah Magnes and other spiritual Zionists in advocating a peaceful attitude towards the Arabs and the estab¬ lishment of Palestine as a bi-na- tional Arab-Jewish State guarantee¬ ing equality to both Jews and Arabs. He was instrumental in founding the Ihud movement which sought a rapprochement with the Arabs and stressed the need to preserve the cultural integrity of the Middle East by retaining dis¬ tinctly Semitic characteristics as opposed to the influence of what were considered alien and synthetic European values. Pictured are the women in attendance. Reading from left to right: Mesdames Hersh Adlerstein, Murray Edison, Jack Shatz, Saul Izeman, Irwin Topolosky, Jerry Weiner, Robert Freedman, Irvin Rubin, Marvin Rose, Irvin Dworkin, Charles Peters, Audrey Sanders, Milton J. Leeman, Max Friedman, president Zion #127, Philip Gurwin, President Candlelight #888, Joseph Blum, Abe Green, Benton Block, Tlteodore Korn, Leon Gr.oss, Al Weston, Leonard Dworkin, Al Cleybone, Sol Eisenberg, Martin Wohlstein, Robert Bender, George Goldberg, >Ific Haas. Not shown but in at¬ tendance: Mesdames Morris Boster, Mel Eisler, Emil Rosen, Daniel Goldsmith, William Shore. L£ADERSHIP TRAINING WORKSHOP HELD AT GENTER BY B'NAr B'RITH WOMEN On Wednesday, June 8, officers and board members of both Candle¬ light and Zion chapters of B'nai B'rilh Women were invited to attend a District No. 2 Leadership Training Workshop being held in the audi' torium of the Jewish Center. District personnel presenting the workshop were Mrs. Audrey San¬ ders, first vice-president of 'Bnai B'rilh Women Dist. No. 2 and also serving as Chapter Service chairman of the district; and Mrs. Charles Peters, Dist'. #2 director. Mrs. Milton J. Leeman. a Mst President of Dist. #2 and now serv¬ ing as Area chairman for Southern Ohio and Kentucky, was the mod¬ erator. Mrs. Jerry Weiner prepared the noon-day luncheon. ai Jordanians Training JERUSALEM (JTA) - The Jor¬ danian Government has ordered military recruiting and training of residents in every village and set¬ tlement on the Israel border, start¬ ing immediacy, it was reported here over the Jordan radio. Chronicling The News Editorial 2 Real Estate ........ 4 Teen Scene 4, 8 Society «, 7, 8 Shopping Guide 5 Synagogues 5 Sports 9, 10 Robert W. Schiff Yeshiva Honors Robert Schiff Robert W. Schiff. chairman of the board of the Shoe Corporalion of America, will be guest of honor at a repcetion on behalf of Yeshiva University at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Leon Schottenstein, 50 N. Drexel Ave., on Thursday, June 24, at 8 p m. . The announcement was made by IVJax J. Etra. chairman of the Board of Trustees of Yeshiva University, who said that Mr. Schiff was being honored for his leadership in num¬ erous philanthropic endeavors and for his active support of Yeshiva University's programs. The University is moving forward in the most ambitious program of physical , and academic expansion in its history—a ten-year "Blueprint for the Sixties." Mr. Schiff, a 10ng--time shoe in¬ dustry leader, has been an active parlicipalant in numerous philan¬ thropic programs. He is a member ot the Board of Directors of the American Joint Distribution Committee, the Na¬ tional Cabinet of the UJA, and has served as president and campaign chairman of the United Jewish Fund of Columbus. In 1950 he journeyed to tlie Stale of Israel as part of a group of American businessmen to advise the Israeli .government on industrial development. Displaying his business acumen even as a young man working in his father's general store in Lithu¬ ania. Mr. Schiff rapidly established himself in the shoe industry after emigrating to the United Stales. In 1920 he and two brothers organized the Schiff Shoe Company, which later became the Shoe Corporation of America, the third largest shoe company in America. Raised and education in a religi¬ ous environment. Mr. Schiff ''has been an active supporter of Yesiiiva University and many other causes In the American Jewish community.
|Title||Ohio Jewish Chronicle, 1965-06-18|
|Subject||Jews -- Ohio -- Periodicals|
|Place||Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)|
|Creator||Ohio Jewish Chronicle|
|Collection||Ohio Jewish Chronicle|
|Submitting Institution||Columbus Jewish Historical Society|
|Rights||This item may have copyright restrictions. Online access is provided for research purposes only. For rights and reproduction requests or more information, go to http://www.ohiohistory.org/images/information|
|Image Height||Not Available|
|Image Width||Not Available|