Rev Amasa Clark
Care of Rev Caleb Greene
Office of the American Baptist Home Mission Society, No. 4 Bowery
Clinton Hall, New York, February 18 1833.
To the Rev. Amasa Clark:
Having been assured of your regular standing, and promise of usefulness as a Minister of Christ; and
desiring to assist and encourage the people in destitute places to procure and maintain the permanent administration of
Christian ordinances, the "EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF THE AMERICAN BAPTIST HOME MISSION SOCIETY" have
appointed you to publish the Gospel in Garrettsville, Nelson, Portage County,
Ohio, in advisement with Rev Caleb Greene,
for the term of six months from June 1st 1833--, you supplying
that Church one half the time during the year. to receive from this Committee
Eighty seven dollars and fifty Cents,
including such sums as you may receive from the people to whom you shall minister.
The terms of this commission are such, That,
1. You are required to bear credentials of your regular standing as a Minister or Licensed Preacher of the
2. You are required to receive no additional aid from any other Missionary Society during the time of your
receiving assistance from this Society, except it be from an Association or Society auxiliary to this, and by
special direction or permission of this Committee, to be deducted from the amount herein granted.
3. You are required, at the end of each quarter from the date of your Commission to render a succinct report of
your labours; noticing the success of difficulties with which you may have met, and referring, as far as you
have any thing interesting to communicate, to the several topics named in your "General Instructions."
4. You are required to forward, or report to the Corresponding Secretary, all contributions which may be made
through you to the funds of this Society
5. You are also required to collect, from the people among whom you labour, as large a portion of your salary as
shall be practicable, and report the same to the Corresponding Secretary, that all contributions, in money or
otherwise, towards your support, may be deducted from the sum guarantied by this Committee.
6. The salary stipulated in this Commission (after deducting from the same such sums as the people shall agree
to pay towards your support) shall be paid to your order on the Corresponding Secretary, in quarterly or
semi-annual payments, as you may desire; but in no case can your order be accepted until you shall have
reported labour, as above required, for the full time which your draft is intended to cover.
BY ORDER OF THE COMMITTEE,
Jonathan Going Corresponding Secretary A.B.H.M.S. Archibald Maclay Chairman.