About this collection
The Ohioana Library Association was founded in 1929 by Ohio First Lady Martha Kinney Cooper to collect,
preserve, and promote the works of Ohio authors, artists, and musicians. By the early 1930s the Library had outgrown its space in the Governor's Mansion and moved into the new State Office Building at 65 S. Front Street, where it remained until 2001. Ohioana and the State Library of Ohio then moved to the renovated Jeffrey Mining Corporate Center near downtown Columbus. Today the Library's holdings include more than 45,000 books by or about Ohioans; 10,000 pieces of sheet music; biographical files on notable Ohioans; personal papers of Ohio authors and artists; and numerous scrapbooks created by Ohio civic and cultural organizations.
The Ohioana Library and the Ohio Historical Society, with support from the State Library of Ohio and a grant from the Library Services and Technology Act program, have digitized seven Ohioana publicity scrapbooks that document the Library's founding, activities, and accomplishments from 1929 through the 1970s. The majority of these scrapbooks focus on the 1940s and early 1950s, when the Library sponsored teas, public speaking engagements, day trips, and an annual banquet where authors, artists, and musicians such as Louis Bromfield, Florence Allen, James Thurber, Robert McCloskey and Lois Lenski were honored for their accomplishments.
You can visit the Ohioana Library in person at 274 E. First Avenue, Suite 300 in Columbus, Ohio or online at www.ohioana.org.