The exact date of the first library in Wooster, Ohio, is unknown. Records indicate there has been a library in existence as early as 1837. The official date of establishment of the Wayne County Public Library is 1897.
In 1903, a letter was sent to Andrew Carnegie asking for funds for a new building. He agreed to donate $15,000 with the requirement that Wooster raise $1,500 a year for building maintenance. Property was purchased on the northwest corner of Market and Larwill Streets. In May 1905, the Wooster Public Library and Museum was dedicated. Throughout the 1950s, services continued to expand to county residents. On January 1, 1960, with the urging of the Friends Groups of Rittman and Doylestown, the Wooster Public Library and Museum's name was changed to the Wayne County District Public Library. Eventually, it was shortened to the Wayne County Public Library.
In June 2007, a new Main library was dedicated. The new building was located at 220 W. Liberty St. Presently, the Wayne County Public Library includes the Operation Center, the Main library, 2 bookmobiles, 5 branches and 1 volunteer branch.
The collection included in "Wayne County, Ohio Through the Years" includes a variety of photographs found in our collection. These include school photos; people with Wayne County connections; and historical structures.