Throughout the history of Wayne County, Ohio, many newspapers came and went. Many remained in the business for many years. A small discussion of the history of newspapers may be found in the Wooster Daily Republican Collection. Other newspaper history led to the printing of the first issue of the Wooster Daily News, published 15 July 1905.
Joseph Clingan sent out the first edition of The Republican Advocate in September 1826. Its main objective was to promote the advancement of General Jackson into Presidency. It was a popular newspaper for the times. After 12 years of managing the newspaper, Clingan sold his interest to Samuel Littell, owner of the Western Telegraph. Littell combined the two papers – The Western Telegraph and The Republican Advocate – into one and renamed the newspaper The Democratic Republican. The journal lasted for three years. Ownership was transferred to James G. Miller and Mr. Carpenter, a printer. Miller and Carpenter published the newspaper for one year. Isaac Hill leased the office from Littell for a while and issued a newspaper called The Democrat. At the end of this lease, Littell sold out to Carny and Means. They published the newspaper until Means passed away.
For the next few decades, various individuals and firms owned an interest in The Democrat. It was not until 12 June 1905 when the newspaper passed into the control of the Wayne County Democrat, a corporation. The officers were John C. Hoffman, manager and president; Fred H. Zimmerman, secretary and treasurer. The city editor in 1910 was Edward Hauensein.
The Wayne County Public Library in Wooster, Ohio, houses the Wayne County Democrat newspaper thru October 1913. Issues of the Wooster Daily News include 2 January 1906 thru 31 December 1913 and 2 July 1917 thru 24 January 1920. There are no known surviving copies of the Wooster Daily News from 1914 through Jun 1917. The Wooster Daily News Digital Collection includes the papers from June 1917 thru January 1920 when the Wooster Daily Record was created.