The Noble County Republican collection includes 1880-1887.
Dennis S. Gibbs and A.B. Clark established the Republican in 1856 at Sarahsville, the short-lived county seat of Noble County, Ohio, to support Republican politics and candidates. In 1857, the county seat was moved to Caldwell, a newly-established community that was more centrally located, and the paper followed two years later in 1859. At that time, it was called the Consolidated Republican, but when John L. Shaw joined that same year, the paper’s name was changed to the Noble County Republican.
Ten years later, John H. Bell and Wallace H. Cooley purchased the paper, and by November 1870, Cooley was the sole owner. Under his leadership, the weekly paper was enlarged to seven and later, nine columns, and began to include more local news. It continued to support the interests of the Republican Party and citizens of Noble County. Unlike many of his predecessors, Cooley was able to avoid bankruptcy, continually improving the newspaper and increasing subscriptions. By 1880, circulation had reached 1,420. It retained its patronage even after another Republican paper, the Caldwell Journal, was established in 1884.
The Republican printed a variety of news, covering local, state, national and international interests. It regularly printed political updates and editorials and was openly critical of its Democratic competitor, the Caldwell Press. Content of more general interest could be found among the Republican’s pages as well, such as news about local citizens, business advertisements, agricultural information, poetry and legal notices.
In 1898, Frank M. Martin of the Caldwell Journal purchased the Republican and merged them to form the Republican Noble County Journal. Eventually, in 1934, its title was shortened to the Journal and it merged with the Noble County Leader in 1961 to form the Journal and Noble County Leader, which is still published today.