The Wayne County Democrat Collection contains issues from November 1913.
The Wayne County Democrat was established in September 1826 by Joseph Clingan. The original name of the newspaper was the Republican Advocate. Similar to other newspapers of the time, it was pro-Jacksonian. It supported the views of Andrew Jackson. Through the years, the newspaper was sold to many individuals. Some of these owners merged the newspaper with other papers. After the first merger with the “Western Telegraph” in 1838, the newspapers became known as the Democratic Republican. It remained the Democratic Republican for about three years when there was another transfer of ownership. The new ownership of the newspaper shortened the name to the Democrat. (The Democrat should not be confused with the Wooster Democrat which was the predecessor of the Wooster Republican.) By March 1850, the Wayne County Democrat was known as the Wayne County Democrat and remained known by this name until the Wooster Daily Record was first published on 26 January 1920.