The Van Wert Times collection covers 1884-1894.
The Van Wert Times was established in 1866 and served residents of Van Wert, Van Wert County and surrrounding areas in rural northwest Ohio. It was considered the official paper of the county and had a circulation of nearly 2,000 as of 1890. Among its early editors and owners were William Moneysmith, who also served as county sheriff; A.C. Tucker; and W.H. Clymer. The Times was "devoted to the advancement of Democratic principles, and to the general and local news."
Typically eight pages in length, the paper included a variety of content. Local, state, national and international news items were regularly featured, as well as political news, notes and editorials. Local business advertisements were plentiful as rates were reasonable and allowed businesses to reach a number of households in the area. The Times also included information about local society and church meetings, weddings, deaths, community gossip, personal news, market news and legal notices. Sermons, poetry and other items of general interest covering subjects ranging from history to science to agriculture to literature were printed in each issue. Even children were given their own column, sometimes called "Youth's Department" or "Young Readers."
In 1904, the Times merged with the Van Wert Democrat to form the Times-Democrat which ended in 1914. A morning edition was also established in 1904, called the Daily Times. In 1936, this paper, then known as the Van Wert Times, merged with the Van Wert Daily Bulletin to form the Van Wert Times-Bulletin which still serves citizens of Van Wert and its environs today.