Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen,
Nickel Plate Lodqe 54 Records
1/ 4 cubic foot
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Brotherhood
of Railroad Trainmen, Nickel Plate Lodge 54 records fro% Don L.
Fernandez, Sandusky, Ohio, in 1961. Sherrill Dryden- Baird
processed the collection in November, 1979,
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society holds the property
richrs to this collection.
Copyrights: Mr. Fernandez has not dedicated copyrights to the
public. Consideration of the requirements of copyright is the
responsibility of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations
of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number and the Ohio Historical Society in all foot-note
and bibliographic references.
Historical sketch: The Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen chartered
Nickel Plate Lodge 54, Bellevue, Ohio, on January 13, 1885. The
union originally organized to provide sickness and disability
insurance. For more information on the BRT, see Fink, Gary M. ( ed.),
Labor Unions ( Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1977), call number
R 331.88 L114.
Scope and content: The records of the Brotherhood of Railroad
Trainmen, Nickel Plate Lodge 54 occu~ y one- quarter cubic foot.
The collection is arranged chronologically and dates from 1899-
1932. Records contained in the collection include correspondence
between the local and its membership concerning working conditions
and the mutual insurance benefit system. Correspondence between
the BRT general offices in Cleveland, Ohio, and Lodge 54 discusses
union business and membership procedures. Lodge 54 records also
contain membership applications and transfers, disability and
death claims, and benefit certificates.
- 3 3 ~ Folder Description
- i 1 1899, 1903 and 1907- 1913
3 1915- 1916; 1920- 1921
4 1922- 1932 and undated
OW10 HiSTORlCAL SOCIETY
1982 Velma Avenue. Coiurnbui. Ohio 43211- 2497 ph: 611;. 297.2300 fx: 614.297.2411
www. ohiohistary. org
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio History Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.